Automattic Grand Meetup 2017

Its hard to recall the week, but here’s a random collection of photos. And a time-lapse video from the drive into Whistler:

The Abandoned Howard Johnson’s

We have an early flight at an airport about an hour from home, so we got a hotel room last night. It was easy to find the place; it’s next door to the abandoned Howard Johnson’s.

Antigua and Barbuda

Heading off to a small island for a week with my wife for our anniversary. This’ll be our first trip without the kids in a long time. I’m really looking forward to doing nothing on a picturesque beach with a fancy drink and a book. 

Making the imposible, possible.

I saw this great GIF that perfectly explains the possibilities that virtual reality opens up: (Click the GIF for a better version) We are not limited by real-world physics and geometry in a virtual world. Literally anything is possible. VR (specifically the Vive’s room-scale technology) lets you explore a limitless world from within a 3′…

Automatic Grand Meetup 2016

I recently attended my sixth Grand Meetup, the yearly tradition at Automattic where the entire company gathers together for a week. This year’s GM is a blur, as usual. I taught a class on user interface design (my first time!), played in the Automatic band, had lots of one-on-one meetings, spent a full day with…

I built some really terrible games

I’m interested in creating a VR application. The first step on this road is learning some of the tools involved, liked Unity. Unity is an application for developing 3d games. Some of the best apps I’ve used on the Vive are created with Unity. So I spent some time yesterday running through a few tutorials and…

Scale in Tilt Brush

Since discovering the ability to scale, pan, and rotate in 3D space, Tilt Brush has become an obsession. My latest scene explores the ability to create massive scale differentials with an amazing amount of detail. Starting small, I created a little campsite (complete with pillow, blanket, and lantern inside the tent), and then zoomed out…

Tilt Brush

I picked up an HTC Vive this week. I played with one for the first time a few weeks ago and knew I needed to have one. Specifically, Tilt Brush, a sort of “painting” app for the virtual reality headset, captivated my interest. Here’s one of my first attempts at creating a scene in Tilt…

Dusty Electronics

I spent my Sunday cleaning the V-Drum pads. I didn’t realize they are open on the bottom. The years in the garage left a lot of dust on ’em. Thankfully easy to clean. And the white heads are washable!

Making quiet loud

I grabbed speakers out of my parents attic. I used these to practice drums back in high school. They’re a little worse for the wear, but working. Now I can make the normally quiet V-Drums loud. It’s so satisfying.  And the kids like to have a dance party while I play.